ACESM Scholarships to Masters and Doctoral Studies at the Copperbelt University
Deadline: September 6, 2019
The Copperbelt University Africa Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Mining (CBU-ACESM) is supported by the World Bank through the Government of the Republic of Zambia. The CBU-ACESM provides leadership in post-graduate education and training for sustainable mining. It promotes multidisciplinary research at Masters and Doctoral levels addressing problems linked to the five thematic areas:
- Occupational health, vulnerabilities and risks to communities in mining environments;
- Restoration of mined and derelict environments, and waste management;
- Energy use, process and mining design;
- Monitoring biodiversity and ecosystem impacts;
- and Livelihoods, entrepreneurship and corporate social responsibility.
The CBU-ACESM is pleased to announce its call for scholarships for specific Masters (MSc. and MPhil.) and Doctoral (PhD) programmes at the Copperbelt University.
Programmes on Offer
The scholarships are available for full time learning only for the following programmes:
(i) Master of Science (MSc.) with specialisation in the following fields (choose one): Chemical Engineering; Environmental Engineering, Monitoring and Management; Project Management; Biotechnology; Physics; Chemistry; Biology; Natural Resources Management; or Tropical Ecology and Biodiversity Management.
(ii) Master of Philosophy (MPhil.) with specialisation in the following fields (choose one): Mining; Metallurgy; Chemical Engineering; Biotechnology; Environmental Engineering, Monitoring and Management; Project Management; Physics; Chemistry; Biology Natural Resources Management; or Tropical Ecology and Biodiversity Management
(iii) Master Business Administration (general).
(iv) Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in the following fields (choose one): Natural Resources Management; Tropical Ecology and Biodiversity Management; Project Management in Sustainable Mining; Mining; Metallurgy; Chemical Engineering; Biotechnology; or Environmental Engineering, Monitoring and Management, Physics; Chemistry or Biology.
The scholarships are open to qualified and eligible candidates from Zambia and the Africa region. Female candidates and applicants with disabilities or from disadvantaged backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Scholarships available are as follows:
- Partial scholarships (Zambian Students). Partial scholarships cover tuition fees, registration fees, examination fees and some limited assistance towards research costs. This type of scholarship is for Zambian students who wish to pursue programmes at Masters and Doctoral levels. Candidates awarded partial scholarships are supported only for the duration of studies, i.e. 2 years for Masters and 3 years for Doctoral degree. However, this support is incumbent upon successful progress in each year. Candidates on the scholarship must endeavor to complete their studies in the stipulated time frames as extension of funding will not be possible.
- Full scholarships (Regional Students-Rest of Africa)The full scholarships will cover the following:
- MSc/Mphil: Tuition fees; registration fees; examination fees; laboratory fees; research costs including field trips. placements and internship; and living expenses.
- PhD: Tuition fees; registration fees; research costs; conference attendance and publication charges, and living expenses. This full scholarship is available for regional students only. Candidatesawarded full scholarships are supported only for the duration of studies, i.e. 2 years for Masters and 3 years for Doctor degree. However, this support is incumbent upon successful progress in each year.
- African students are welcome to apply. Full time students admitted or already pursuing the above listed programmes are also welcome to apply.
- Requirements for Admission and Studies Linked to the CBU-ACESM All the advertised programmes under the CBU-ACESM are on a full-time basis, i.e. two (2) years of study for MSc. and MPhil., and three (3) years for the PhD.
- The MSc. will have a curriculum with taught courses in the first year and a research project leading to a thesis publication in the second year. The MPhil. and PhD are completed by research. Candidates will be expected to participate in special and advanced courses to research skills in the Graduate School at the CBU-ACESM.
Applicants for the scholarship must first be admitted by School of Postgraduate Studies of the Copperbelt University.
To apply for admission at the Copperbelt University, one must complete„ the application form electronically and attach all required documents by visiting Copperbelt University website on www.cbu.edu.zm. You will find the application portal on https://www.cbu.ac.zm/opus/apply/. For admission inquiries please contact: the Copperbelt University Academic Affair’s office at academicofficeAcbu.ac.zm.
Applicants should submit their documents in a single pdf file in the order provided below to the following email addresses:
For more information, visit ACESM Scholarships .