AIMS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Research Programme 2020 (Worth CAD 32,000)
Deadline: Rolling Basis
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences – Research (AIMS Research) is inviting prospective postdoctoral fellows who hold a PhD degree in any mathematical science discipline to apply for one of fifteen postdoctoral fellowships available through the AIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellows Programme in climate change science.
This is in response to an urgent need to increase the number of high-end researchers who, with limited supervision, can conduct cutting-edge mathematical science research in Africa.
Fellows will be based at one of the seven existing AIMS Research Centres, including Quantum Leap Africa. Beneficiaries may be affiliated to any recognized institution of higher learning located in the same country as the host AIMS Research Centre. Funding will be provided for fellows and their supervisors to attend one research school that will take place at AIMS Rwanda.
This is a two year extendable research position with a maximum total cost to AIMS of CAD 32,000 per annum. The cost includes a return flight ticket from the candidate’s home/institution to the AIMS Research Centre, tuition (if applicable), visa application, accommodation, living support, and health insurance.
- Applicants can be from any country.
- Applicants must hold at least a PhD degree (or a recognized equivalent) in any field related to mathematical sciences before the start date of this position.
- Applicants should be interested in undertaking research within the climate change sciences and its related areas.
- Knowledge/interest in mathematical modelling would be an advantage.
- Applicants must be open-minded, and must be willing to conduct their research at their preferred AIMS Research Centre, or a designated partner institution in the same host country. The designated partner institution could be an academic/research institution or a non-academic institution (e.g. industry).
Applications should be submitted using the online application form, and should contain the following supporting documents:
- a completed personal details form,
- a completed research proposal form,
- a letter of motivation which outlines why you should be offered this position,
- most recent transcripts and attestation, and
- a current CV.
Your supporting documents should be ready for submission before you complete the online application form. Supporting documents should be saved as pdfs in the format: “name of the researchprogram_type of_document_AIMSentity/centre_monthyear_applicant’s name-surname”. For instance, the personal details form should be saved as “AIMSPostdoc_personaldetails_AIMSRwanda_Dec2018_SarahJake”.
For more information, visit AIMS Research Programme .