Deadline : February 15, 2021
Apply for the Canon Foundation-Kyoto University Japan-Africa Exchange Program 2020/21. The exchange program based on the Memorandum of Understanding concluded between the Canon Foundation in Europe (CFE) and Kyoto University (KU) enables eligible students to attend several research based activities for a specified period of time. The Canon Foundation-Kyoto University Japan-Africa Exchange Program started in 2018 and offers fellowships to highly qualified researchers in fields of research related to African Studies. The program is intended to support:
- Fellows from KU who want to do research in Africa, and
- scholars from Kyoto University’s partner institutes in Africa who want to do research in Kyoto.
The fellowships are for a minimum period of three months up to maximum of one year between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. Applicants for the program must hold at least an MA degree and employed either at Kyoto University or Kyoto University's partner institutions as post-doctoral fellows or faculty members at the time of applying
Successful applicants will receive several benefits as described below
- The financial support for successful applicants ranges from 22,500 Euro to 27,500 Euro per year and is pro-rated for different periods.
- Canon Foundation of Europe will directly administer the payments and notify the detailed payment procedure to each successful applicant.
In order to be considered for the program, you must fulfill the following eligible criteria
- Applicants need to be holding at least an MA degree and employed either at Kyoto University or Kyoto University's partner institutions as post-doctoral fellows or faculty members at the time of applying.
- For a complete list of Kyoto University’s partner institutions, please visit its Global Engagement Website here
The deadline for applications is February 15, 2021. Consideration of the applications takes place first at Kyoto University and then at Canon Foundation of Europe. The Selection Committee of Canon Foundation of Europe (CFE) will make final decisions and email the results to applicants before the end of February of that year.
Interested applicants are advised to submit the following documents to Kyoto University Africa Unit via the following address ([email protected]):
- Your research plan including a clear title at the top of the page as well as starting/ending dates of the proposed research.The research plan needs to include a general cost estimate, including living, travel, research costs, insurance, and etc. (maximum 2 pages)
- 2 reference letters (maximum 1 page each) from 2 persons. One letter should be from someone in a position to comment on your academic qualifications and professional work while the other should be a confirmation letter from your prospective host who can provide research or work facilities to you during the proposed period.
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- 1 copy of your doctoral certificate or your highest academic degree
- 1 passport size photograph of yourself
- 1 list of your academic publications or professional achievements in chronological order containing information on all authors, place and year of publication and page references.
To Apply, Click Here