Deadline: May 29, 2020
The Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK (Islam-UK Centre) at Cardiff University is pleased to invite applications for the Cardiff University Jameel Scholarships.
Founded in 2005, the Islam-UK Centre works towards the promotion of better understanding of Islam and the life of Muslims in Britain, through high quality teaching and research. Its activities address issues which are central to the situation of Muslims in contemporary Britain. The Centre provides unique training and research opportunities for those seeking onward employment in a range of academic and non-academic careers.
With the help of a very generous gift to the University, the Jameel Scholarships have been established to enable the very best students to come to Cardiff University – those who have the intellect and determination to apply their knowledge for the benefit of Muslim communities in the UK, and to promote better understanding of Islam in wider society
- If you are successful with your application you will receive full UK/ EU tuition fees and a stipend of £15,000.
- You will also receive £1,000 for research costs.
- A first class or very high upper-second class honours degree in a relevant subject (Religious Studies, Islamic Studies, Social Sciences, Philosophy or History) from a UK university.
- Full awards are open only to UK and EU nationals who satisfy UK residency requirements.
- Priority will be given to candidates with a demonstrable record of interest in, and/or enthusiasm for, working with British Muslims.
- Willingness to attend all Islam-UK Centre activities and events (eg weekly Spring Semester Public Lecture Series) and to undertake some voluntary work with local Muslim communities in South Wales.
Applicants willing to apply must follow the following procedure:
- Cardiff University Postgraduate online application for the full-time MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain with September 2020 entry.
- An MA Jameel Scholarships Application Form, all sections of which must be completed in full. MA Jameel Scholarships Application Forms are available to download on the right-hand side of this page. Completed forms must be submitted as an email attachment with the heading ‘MA Jameel Scholarships’ to [email protected] by the deadline.
- Two references, of which at least one, must be from a University from which the applicant has graduated. References should be completed on an MA Referee Report Form which should be sent as an email attachment to [email protected] by the deadline. Applicants should follow instructions given on the MA Referee Report Form. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that references are received by the deadline. Failure to do so will compromise the application.
- A complete transcript of all marks achieved to date to be sent as an email attachment to [email protected] by the deadline. Failure to do so will compromise the application.