Deadline : September 30, 2019
The Clinton Global Initiative University is looking for higher education student leaders who are committed to take action in their community to address a pressing challenge. They are looking for undergraduate and graduate students across the world who are motivated to make a positive change in the areas of education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty allevation, and public health. Students accepted into CGI U will participate in a year-round program that includes access to: high-touch mentorship; a social impact curriculum; funding streams; and student engagement events, including an invitation to the annual meeting from April 17-19 at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Applications will be reviewed by the CGI U Selection Committee. All applicants, Early Deadline and Final Deadline, will be notified of admissions decisions in mid November 2019. The CGI U Selection Committee aims to convene a diverse cohort of students that demonstrate the motivation to tackle specific challenges, the capacity to develop their leadership skills, and dedication to CGI U's yearlong program.
Please note, you are eligible to apply to the CGI U Class of 2020 if you have never previously been accepted to CGI U, you are at least 18 years of age, and you are currently enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time of application
- Students who apply Early Decision will also have an opportunity to apply for travel assistance. All applicants are encouraged to complete the travel assistance portion of their applications for CGI U.
- CGI U will negotiate room blocks at favorable rates with several hotels in the area where our meetings take place, which will be shared with registered students in advance of the meeting. There will also be an opportunity to request to share a hotel room with other attendees.
- CGI U will provide meals for attendees free of cost for the duration of the meeting.
Through the online platform, Commitment Mentors will review and monitor student engagement in the CGI U curriculum and ensure that students are fulfilling requirements for graduation. To complete the CGI U program and become eligible for CGI U’s Commitment-Maker seal, letters of recommendation and other opportunities, students must complete the following over the course of the 2019-2020 program:
- Participation in one, hour-long small group discussion per module (4 in total) (to be scheduled by Commitment Mentors)
- Review of CGI U’s 30-minute webinar recordings and readings, which will be housed on the online platform
- Completion of one 30-minute individual coaching session with their Commitment Mentor per module (4 in total)
- Completion of Commitment to Action progress report post CGI U annual meeting in April
To be considered for CGI U, students must apply with a Commitment to Action: a new, specific, and measurable initiative that addresses a pressing challenge.
- Topics: Learn about CGI U's Focus Areas and Keywords to determine the scope of your commitment.
- Preparation: Utilize the Application Preview to draft your application answers before submitting them online.
- Webinar: Watch this information session webinar to walk through the CGI U application process.
- Motivation: Emphasize in your application how you are connected to the problem you are trying to solve.
- Travel Assistance: To be considered for travel assistance to the annual meeting, financial need must be demonstrated and priority will be given to commitments that readily align with the work of the Clinton Foundation. Learn more about the work of the Clinton Development Initiative, the Clinton Climate Initiative, and the Clinton Health Matters Initiative if you are interested in this opportunity.