Deadline : February 1, 2020 .
Apply for the DESY Summer Student Programme 2020. Each summer DESY offers undergraduate students in physics, related natural science disciplines or computing the possibility to participate in the research activities of the laboratory. Selected candidates join in the day-to-day work of research groups at the DESY Laboratory in Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin) and participate in one of these activities.
While the work in the groups is the main activity, there will also be a series of lectures (given in English) related to the research done at DESY.
DESY Summer Students join groups engaged in the following activities:
Program A : Experiments with Synchrotron Radiation (only at Hamburg)
- Students join photon science groups at DESY engaged in fundamental and applied
research in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, crystallography, material science, and geological science. Some of the students will work in the frame of the European XFEL project. The work includes participation in activities like preparation and realization of measurements, evaluation of measured data, and technical improvements of instrumentation.
Program B : Research in Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics, accelerators and computing:
- Summer students will work in the physics analysis, software or detector related fields of experiments in elementary particle physics (ATLAS, CMS, ILC, BELLE II, ALPS II) and astroparticle physics (CTA, IceCube), development of particle accelerators, theory of elementary particles and astroparticles, or computing.
- Allowances: DESY Summer Students will be paid a subsistence allowance to cover living expenses for a single person.
- 1200 Euros per month (850 Euro per month for people commuting from Hamburg and surroundings)
- Travel expenses:Travel expenses will be subsidized.
- Only students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summerstudent programme are eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have completed, by the summer of 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at university level in physics, related natural science disciplines or computing. Please take note that large majority of projects we offer is for physics students. The main target audiences are students who in summer 2020 are at the following two stages:
- they are about to obtain their Bachelor degree
- they have a Bachelor degree and are within the first year of studies for a Master degree.
- Applicants who already obtained a master-degree or will obtain the master degree in 2020 are not accepted.
- Applicants should not have previously been at DESY as a summer student
- Please note that all applicants should have a good working knowledge of English, some basic computing skills and are committed to attend the whole programme.
- Please, before applying, read carefully the conditions and make sure that you fulfil the qualifications. Please proceed to the application only, if you accept the conditions. This includes, that you will participate in the program for the full period of time.
- Please look through the activities and identify your preferred areas. You can choose three areas in order of priority later in your application form. (Note, that you can choose either from A1-A6 or from B1-B6, not a mixture of both!)
- Documents to be uploaded: In the course of this application you will have to upload a few documents (only PDF format is accepted). The uploading is to be done on the second page of the application:
- a CV (curriculum vitae), the CV should be in tabular form only and contain personal data, educational history / relevant work experience, computing and other relevant work skills (usually 1-2 pages are sufficient for the complete CV).
- University grade certificates (e.g. bachelor certificate, credit points, etc.).
- Applicants from Non-EU and Non-EEA Countries are requested to upload in addition a copy of their valid passport in English language, Please upload it one the second page of the application.
- Two reference letters: Please note that you need to ask your two referees for their permission before giving their names and email addresses in this online form. The referees will get an automatic email notification with instructions where to upload their reference letters.
- At the end of the online application procedure, you will be asked to confirm the correctness of the data you entered. Your data will be electronically saved for 6 month and processed for the purposes of this summer students application procedure only.
To apply Click Here