Deadline : January 31, 2023
Apply for the DESY Summer Student Programme 2023. Each summer DESY offers undergraduate students in physics, natural science disciplines, computing or related disciplines to participate in to join various research groups and participate in various lab activities. DESY will select about 100 students who will join in the day-to-day work of research groups at the DESY Laboratory in Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin).
While the work in the groups is the main activity, there will also be a series of lectures (given in English) related to the research done at DESY. The summer school will run from July 18, 2023 to September 7, 2023.
Who can apply? Students from any country around the world who have have completed at least three years of their Bachelors education by the summer of 2023 in one of the above mentioned disciplines.
DESY Summer Students join groups engaged in the following activities:
Program A : Photon Science
- Students join photon science groups at DESY engaged in fundamental and applied
research in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, crystallography, material science, and geological science. Some of the students will work in the frame of the European XFEL project. The work includes participation in activities like preparation and realization of measurements, evaluation of measured data, and technical improvements of instrumentation.
Program B: Elementary Particle Physics, Astroparticle Physics and Accelerators
- Summer students will work in the physics analysis, software or detector related fields of experiments in elementary particle physics (ATLAS, CMS, ILC, BELLE II, ALPS II) and astroparticle physics (CTA, IceCube), development of particle accelerators, theory of elementary particles and astroparticles, or computing.
Program C : Research in Astroparticle Physics
- Projects for summer students are offered in the following area of physics analysis, instrument development, and theory of astroparticle physics.
- Allowances: DESY Summer Students will be paid a subsistence allowance to cover living expenses for a single person.
- You will receive 1200 Euros per month or 850 Euro per month for people commuting from Hamburg and surroundings.
- Travel expenses: Travel expenses will be subsidized.
- Participants will also receive subsidized accommodation in reserved Hostels.
- Only students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summer student programme are eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have completed, by the summer of 2023, at least three years of full-time studies at university level in physics, related natural science disciplines or computing. Please take note that large majority of projects we offer is for physics students.
- The main target audiences are students who in summer 2023 are at the following two stages:
- They are about to obtain their Bachelor degree
- They have a Bachelor degree and are within the first year of studies for a Master degree.
- Applicants who already obtained a master-degree or will obtain the master degree in 2023 are not accepted.
- Applicants should not have previously been at DESY as a summer student
- Please note that all applicants should have a good working knowledge of English, some basic computing skills and are committed to attend the whole programme
Applications are submitted online via the provided application portal. Please remember that along with your personal and academic information, you must upload a list of documents to support your application.
Here below is a list of required documents:
- A recent CV (curriculum vitae) with information including your personal data, educational history / relevant work experience, computing and other relevant work skills
- Submit your current University grade certificates. These may be bachelor certificate, credit points, grade slips e.t.c
- Applicants from Non-EU and Non-EEA Countries are requested to upload additional documents mentioned here below.
- Please upload a copy of your passport in English.
- Submit a certificate of enrollment from your current University.
- Download, complete and submit a Declaration of certificate of Enrollment which must be signed and stamped by your university. The document can be downloaded form the programme website.
- You should request two reference letters from two referees. You will be required to submit the names and email addresses of your referees who will then receive email notification with instructions where to upload their reference letters.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here