Deadline : April 30, 2020 .
Applications are open for the Engineering for Development (E4D) Doctoral Scholarship Programme. The E4D Programme is generously funded through the Sawiris Foundation for Social Development and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.
The Engineering for Development (E4D) doctoral scholarships promote doctoral research for the benefit of underprivileged people in low-income countries. It awards two doctoral scholarships per year and promotes innovative projects that are directly relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people in low-income countries.
The E4D doctoral scholarship is CHF 175’000 for a period of three years. The scholarship period can be extended on a no-cost extension. Out of the scholarship grant, CHF 166’800 is reserved to cover the salary of the E4D Fellow for three years (level of employment: 100%, incl. social security), CHF 8’200 for material costs and/or travels
Benefits for applicants are as below.
- The grant sum is 175,000 CHF to cover the salary costs of the doctoral students for three years.
To be eligible, you must fulfill the following criteria
- The general entrance requirements for doctoral studies at the ETH Zurich and at the respective department must be fulfilled.
- Experience in the selected research area is required.
- Preference will be given to citizens of Least Developed Countries and other
- Low-Income Countries according to the OECD DAC-list classification1 (soft factor).
- High English proficiency level is necessary
- Maximum age: 40 years
- Excellent MSc Degree and high academic performance is necessary
- ONLY contact an ETH professor with a concrete project idea
To apply you must follow the following procedure and submit the required documents
- The candidate submits a concept note to the E4D programme office by e-mail to Ms. Patricia Heuberger ([email protected]).
- Candidates whose concept note is accepted by the ETH4D Committee for Exchanges elaborate a full proposal together with the professor who agreed to supervise the project
- The CV of the candidate, including transcripts with grades and three references must be provided
- The outline of the research project must not exceed 3000 characters .
- Relevant own publications or documentation of relevant activities relating to the project.
To apply, click here