Ghent University Engineering Design Education Scholarship (Fully Funded PhD)
Deadline: June 30, 2019
The Department of Industrial Systems Engineering and Product Design at Ghent University (Campus Kortrijk) invites applications for a full-time 4-year position as a doctoral researcher. The PhD scholarship is available in the field of engineering design / industrial / product design at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture. The research will lead to the title of Doctor of Industrial Design Engineering Technology. This research is funded by Ghent University under the BOF 2019 Special Research Grant. The PhD position will commence on October 1, 2019
The goal of this ‘design for education’ research is to determine how certain factors (i.e., peer-assisted and technology-enhanced learning) and specific modes of student interaction (i.e., peer-to-peer feedback) impact learning throughout the design process. This examination shall provide with a better understanding of what learning is and what learning is or should be in design education for the 21st century.
The project’s broad aims are to understand how technology can:
- support learners to a more structured progression through the design process / design thinking;
- enhance competences in and out of the classroom, e.g., collaborative skills, empathic relationships and creativity in engineering design education and practice.
Scholarship holders receive a 4-year fully funded PhD position at the he Department of Industrial Systems ngineering and Product Design at Ghent University (Campus Kortrijk)
The ideal candidate for the position has the following profile:
- An MSc degree in Engineering Design, Industrial/Product Design, Engineering Technology, or equivalent (and have obtained their degree before 1 October 2019)
- Very good knowledge of design thinking; design research
- Good research skills in both quantitative and qualitative research methods and good knowledge of statistical software
- Interest in design education and problem-based learning, and open to deepen knowledge in technology-enhanced learning
- Experience in education, or degree in educational sciences is an asset
- Excellent level of English, both oral and written (e.g., TOEFL / IELTS grades)
- Self-motivating, creative, critical and analytical mindset; capable of working in groups and participate in learning projects; capacity for autonomous, structured and in-depth research.
- Cover letter outlining your background, experience and motivation for this position (max. 1 page);
- CV (max 2 pages) including short bio and contact information of two academic supervisors that may be requested to send a reference, if shortlisted for an interview;
- Transcript of records of the BSc, MSc, or equivalent;
- One design work that showcases design thinking (with written explanations) (link to personal website if applicable);
- One written piece of work (e.g. BA-thesis, MA-thesis, a paper/manuscript submitted for a publication) preferably most relevant to the research proposal