Deadline : March, 2020 .
Apply for the Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship program 2020. In 2020, Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship program aims to invite 1,276 international students from 153 regions who wish to pursue a graduate level degree (master’s or doctoral) or research in Korea.
To be selected as a GKS (KGSP) grantee, an applicant must successfully pass the 1st round of selection managed by the Korean embassy where he or she holds the citizenship or NIIED-designated Korean universities.
- Entry to Korea: An economy class flight ticket from GKS scholar‟s home country to Korea
- Return: An economy class flight ticket from Korea to GKS scholar‟s home country
- Entry flight ticket will NOT be provided to newly selected scholars who have resided in Korea at the time of applying to this program and during the selection period. – The return flight ticket is only offered to GKS scholars who successfully complete their degree coursework.
- For GKS scholars selected in China and Czech Republic: The flight tickets will be prepared and provided by the government of China and Czech Republic, respectively, in accordance with the agreement made between Korean government and the governments of two countries.
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 KRW (offered once after entry to Korea)
- Monthly Allowance: (Degree Program) 1,000,000 KRW per month, (Research Program) 1,500,000 KRW per month
- Research Allowance – Liberal Arts and Social Science majors: 210,000 KRW per semester
- 1-Year Korean Language Training Fee: Fully covered
- Degree Program Tuition: Fully covered – Tuition amount covered by NIIED is maximum 5million KRW, and the amount that exceeds 5 million KRW will be covered by scholar‟s university.
- Thesis (Dissertation) Printing Fee Reimbursement
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 KRW per month ○ Korean Proficiency Grants: 100,000 KRW per month
- Degree Completion Grants: 100,000 KRW (offered once)
The eligible criteria is as follows:
- All applicants and their parents must not hold Korean citizenship. – (Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, China, Colombia, Comoros, DR Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Cote d‟Ivoire, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe)
- Korean citizens and dual citizenship holders (one who have Korean citizenship and citizenship of another country) are NOT eligible to apply.
- Applicants and their parents who had previously held Korean citizenship must submit the document that proves their renunciation of Korean citizenship. (※Exception: For overseas Korean applicants holding Japanese citizenship, if their parents hold 7 „Permanent Residency Permit‟ within Japan while holding Korean citizenship, are eligible to apply.)
- Must be under 40 years of age as of September 1, 2020 (born after September 1, 1980)
- Academic professors who are under 45 years of age as of September 1, 2020 (born after September 1, 1975) and hold citizenship of one of the Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipients listed in the table below are eligible to apply
- Applicants must hold or must be expected to hold a Bachelor‟s, Master‟s or a Doctoral degree by August 31st, 2020.
- Doctoral Program Applicants: Must hold a Master‟s degree or a level of education equivalent to a Master‟s degree
- Master‟s Program Applicants: Must hold a Bachelor‟s degree or a level of education equivalent to a Bachelor‟s degree
- Research Program Applicants: Must hold a degree or a level of education equivalent to or higher than a Master‟s degree and must have received an invitation from one of NIIED‟s designated Korean universities.
- Applicants who are expected to graduate at the time of applying must first submit the certificate of expected graduation at the time of applying. The official degree certificate (or diploma) and final academic transcript must be submitted by August 31st, 2020 at the very latest.
- Applicants who have previously studied in a Korean university as exchange or visiting students can apply to this program.
All applicants must have maintained the overall grade point average (CGPA) equivalent to or higher 9 than any ONE of the following from their respective universities:
- 2.64 on a 4.0 scale;
- 2.80 on a 4.3 scale;
- 2.91 on a 4.5 scale;
- 3.23 on a 5.0 scale; or
- Score percentile: 80% or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 20% within one‟s class (Exception: Previous or current GKS scholars must hold the grade of 90% or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 10% within one‟s class)
- All applicants must be in good health, both mentally and physically, to study in Korea for the full duration of degree or research programs.
- All applicants must submit Form 6 or the “Personal Medical Assessment” at the time of applying.
- All applicants who pass the 2nd round of selection must receive comprehensive medical checkup and submit the certificate of health and medical examination result issued by a medical doctor or a licensed physician.
- Please contact the Korean Embassy in your respective country for further information and procedure for application
- Also note that the deadline for submission of applicaton documents may vary with each country
- Click on the link below for support documents and application forms for completing your application