Deadline : March 23, 2023
Apply for the 2023 Global Korea Scholarships (GKS) Graduate Program for Foreign Students. The Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarships program invites applications from international students from over 154 regions all around the world to fill up to 1,300 scholarship positions. Applicants must be applying and planning to study for a graduate level degree which may be master’s or doctoral, or research in Korea.
The application, evaluation and selection process is managed by both the Global Korea Scholarship GKS (KGSP) selection committee together with the Korean embassy in the country where you hold citizenship, and NIIED-designated Korean University. Therefore, the first step of you application is to apply and successfully pass the 1st round of selection managed by the Korean embassy where you hold citizenship or NIIED-designated Korean universities.
There are two basic modes of application for the GKS Scholarship programme
- Embassy Track : The general process for this application requires applicants pass through the 1st selection process set by the Korean Embassy of his or her country of origin. 630 Scholarships are offered under the Embassy Track.
- University Track: The general process for this application requires applicants pass through the 1st selection process set by their selected university. 630 Scholarships are offed under the University track.
- You will receive and Airfare allowance for an Economy class flight ticket to South Korea
- Upon your arrival, you will receive a Settlement Allowance worth 200,000 KRW
- You will be eligible for a Monthly Allowance worth 1,000,000KRW for Master’s/Doctoral and 1,500,000 KRW for Research
- Selected applicants will be eligible for Medical Insurance coverage worth 20,000 KRW
- There is a Language Training Fee as follows: NIIED: 800,000KRW, University: amount that exceeds 800,000 KRW
- You will receive coverage for your tuition fees worth up to 5 million KRW for NIIED Track and an amount that exceeds 5 million KRW plus Admission fee for University Track
- Korean Proficiency Grants worth 100,000 KRW
- You will also be eligible for a Research Support Fee worth 210,000 KRW to 240,000 KRW
- Students will also be eligible for a thesis Printing Fee worth 500,000~800,000 KRW
- At the end of your studies, you will receive a Completion Grants worth 100,000 KRW
The Nationality requirements for applicants
- You must be a citizen of a NIIED designated country that has been invited to take part in the GKS scholarship program. (See list of all countries here)
- Neither the applicant nor his/her parent(s) must hold dual citizenship of which one is Korean
- Overseas Korean applicants applying via the Embassy Track, holding Japanese citizenship are eligible to apply, if their parents hold Permanent Residency Permits within Japan while holding Korean citizenship.
Candidates’ Degree Requirements for application
- Applicants for the Master’s Program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent by the time of application.
- If applying for a Doctoral Program, you must have achieved a Master’s degree or its equivalent at the time of application.
- Applicants for Research Programs must receive an invitation from one of the partner universities and must meet the criteria below:
- Postdoctoral Research Program: Must hold a Doctoral degree as of February 28, 2021.
- Professor Exchange Program: Must hold a Master s degree or higher AND must be teaching at a university as a professor.
- Program for Education, Science, Culture, International Cooperation Professionals: Must hold a Master s degree or higher AND must be a professional in a field of Education, Science, Culture, or International Cooperation (E.S.C.I.).
The Age requirement for applicants
- You must be under 40 years of age for Master’s and Doctoral degree programmes.
- You may apply if you are an academic professors who are under 45 years of age as of September 1, 2023 and hold citizenship of one of the Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipients are eligible to apply.
Grades and Previous performance
- You must have maintained the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) equivalent to or higher than any ONE of the following from your previous Education.
- Have maintained a CGPA 2.64/4.0, 2.80/4.3, 2.91/4.5, 3.23/5.0
- You must have achieved a score percentile should of 80 % or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 20% within one’s class
The applicants’ Health status requirement
- All applicants must be in good health, both mentally and physically, to study in Korea for the full duration of the academic degree or research programs.
Please contact the 1st selection organizations(embassy or university) to get detailed information regarding the application submission such as application deadline, required documents, interview and etc. Application submission deadline may differ by each embassy or university that conducts the first round of selection. You will need the following documents:
- A full completed applicant Form
- well detailed Personal Statement
- Your proposed Study Plan
- You must request two letters of Recommendation form people who know you well
- A correctly completed GKS Applicant Agreement
- your Personal Medical Assessment
- Diplomas and Certificate of High school graduation, Certificate of Bachelor’s degree or Bachelor’s Diploma, Certificate of Master’s degree or Master’s Diploma, Doctoral and any other relevant academic document
- Applicant’s Proof of Citizenship Document
- Birth certificates or family registrar, passport copy, and etc.
- Applicant’s Parent’s Proof of Citizenship Document
- Certificate of valid TOPIK score, passports and Birth certificates
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here