Deadline: December 1, 2020
The Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy was established in 1997 by Irving Louis Horowitz and Mary E. Curtis as a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Its general purpose is to support the advancement of research and understanding in the major fields of the social sciences. Its specific purpose is to provide small grants to aspiring PhD students at the dissertation level to support the research they are undertaking for their project.
Aim and Mission
To support emerging scholars through small grants;
To promote scholarship with a social policy application; and
To encourage projects that address contemporary issues in the social sciences.
Grants are based solely on merit. Each is worth a total of $7,500; $5,000 is awarded initially and $2,500 upon completion of the project.
For grant recipients to be entitled to their second installment, they must show evidence of one of the following:
- Acceptance and approval of their dissertation;
- Acceptance of an article based on the research by a peer-reviewed journal; or
- Invitation to write and publish a book chapter based on the research.
Grants are non-renewable and recipients have five years from announcement of the award to complete their project and claim their final payment.
To apply, applicants mus fulfill the following requirements
- Applicants must be current PhD (or DrPH) candidates who are working on their dissertation;
- Eligible applicants must not have a PhD; those who do, are ineligible;
- You must have defended your dissertation proposal or had your topic approved by their department;
- Eligible applicants can be from any country and any university in the world. US citizenship or residency is not required.
- Click the orange “Application Portal” button and create an account
- Complete the two-question Eligibility Form
- Complete the Application Round, including:
- Personal Details – short answer questions
- Project Overview – a brief snapshot
- Your Project – 750 word description
- Upload Your CV
- 2 Letters of Recommendation – provide contact information
- Click the “Review & Submit” button (on or before the deadline)
To apply, Click here