Deadline : November 2023
The Chevening scholarship scheme runs every year and is aimed at developing future leaders worldwide. The next application phase opens on August 2, 2022. The scholarship runs a very competitive selection process for the prestigious scholarship, with thousands of hopefuls from over 100 countries submitting an application each year.
Chevening is the UK Government’s international awards scheme is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and partner organizations. This scholarship programme offers a unique opportunity for future leaders and influencers from all over the world to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK.
The scheme is prestigious and so competitive and therefore requires applicants to be as exception as possible and stand out in order to be selected for the program. Selection is mainly based on the following factors:
Work Experience: You must ensure that you meet the minimum work-experience requirement for the scholarship before submitting your Chevening application. Chevening Scholarships require that applicants have at least two years of work experience
Academics: Applicants are required to have completed all components of an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university by the time you submit your application. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK
Referees: These should be people who can comment on your general suitability to receive a Chevening Scholarship or Fellowship. Referees should be known to you, either in an academic or professional capacity
English Proficiency: Candidates need to meet the requirements of their chosen university and secure an unconditional offer from one of their three course choices by the Chevening deadline. Accepted tests include, Academic IELTS (paper or computer-based), Pearson PTE Academic, TOEFL iBT, C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English: Advanced [CAE]), Trinity ISE II (B2)
The Essays: During the initial application process, you’ll have to write a few essays about Leadership, Networking, study plan, and future career plan. This is where you show the Chevening committee that you are a candidate worth considering
The Interview: The Interview is the last part of the selection process. this comes after you have successfully passed all the other criteria and shortlisted s one of the potential recipients of the program
Be clear, simple and concise
- Throughout your essays, evaluate your personal and professional development. Explain your interest in pursuing Masters studies at this particular moment in your career. Emphasize on reasons for UK being your choice. Set your career plan and explain how a Chevening scholarship would enhance your career prospects. Make your application outstanding and show how different you are from other applicants, and why you deserve the scholarship
- Draw on your experience by using examples and real world scenarios. Provide specific examples of leadership and networking skills. Be specific on choice of universities and courses as much as you can. Explain why the chosen courses are unique and the way they align with your career prospects.
- Conduct a thorough research. Make sure that your choice of university/courses reflects your academic and professional record. Link your past achievements with your future career plan. Yet, do not be afraid to apply to the top universities!
- Contact the admissions staff at the university or the university alumni. Get back to your local university and check whether they can assist. Feel free to contact Chevening scholars too. Go through the university requirements carefully and thoroughly. Keep in mind the deadlines for applications as they vary between universities!
- Show the best of you! Just be natural, be yourself and you will definitely make it. Focus and listen to the questions carefully. Be original and be prepared to answer questions on some of the current issues such as the country’s future direction or some of the growing issues in the international arena. Awareness matters, especially for future leaders!
English language requirement
- Check the requirements for the chosen university. Timing matters. Book your English language test appointment on time. Do not wait until the last moment!
- It would be great if you can provide both academic and professional references. However, you can have both of them from the same category. Infact, it is even more important that your reference is provided by someone who knows you well and who may expand on your personality and abilities!
- The Chevening selection process is long, but aim to make the most of it at every stage. Now, polish your essays and work on them patiently. Do re-draft, but do not overdo them!
Build your network
- Get in touch with previous Chevening scholars, and ask them for guidance. Let them review your application or give you advice on the interview!
As told by: Edita Maric from Bosnia and Herzegovina to the UK embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina
For more information, visit the official website here