Deadline : September 12, 2023
Apply for the 2024 Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders. The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders managed by the the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). This Fellowship brings young leaders to the United States for academic coursework and leadership training and creates unique opportunities for Fellows and Americans to collaborate and as they spur growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance, and enhance peace and security across Africa and the United States.
Each year, around 700 selected fellows participate in six-week Leadership Institutes, studying Business, Civic Engagement, or Public Management at U.S. colleges or universities. During their time on campus, Fellows connect with Americans and enrich local U.S. communities while sharing best practices.
Since its establishment 2014, the Mandela Washington Fellowship given over 4,400 young leaders from every country in Sub-Saharan Africa the opportunity to travel to the United States to attend the academic and leadership training. Usually, applications are accepted from potential leaders from sub-Saharan African countries.
This is a fully funded opportunity that covers costs related to:
- J-1 visa support
- Round-trip travel from your city to the United States and domestic U.S. travel as
- required by the program.
- Housing and meals during the program
Fellows will benefit from the fellowship in the following ways
- Selected fellows will have the opportunity to Participate in a six-week Leadership Institute at a University or college in the united states.
- You will have the opportunity to share your experiences while learning from
Americans and other Fellows.
- Fellows will explore industries beyond their daily work and expand their knowledge and expertise.
- You will have the opportunity to attend a Summit with young African leaders in Washington, D.C.
- As a fellow, you will meet with U.S. Government, civic, and business leaders and create new connections.
To apply for this fellowship programme, you must meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicants must be nationals of one of the following eligible countries (Please see full list here)
- Prospective fellows must be between the ages of 25 and 35 by the application deadline. Applicants between the ages of 21 and 24 may be considered.
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States are not eligible for this program.
- You must be eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa to travel to the united states.
- Applicants must prove sufficient proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Candidates with a proven record of leadership and accomplishment in business, civic engagement, or public service will have an added advantage.
Applications for this fellowship programme ARE NOW OPEN and close on September 12, 2023. Your application must be submitted online and will require you to submit the following information.
- General information including your names, gender and place of residence
- You will have to submit your most recent curriculum vitae clearly indicating your academic and professional achievements and experience
- As an applicant, You will be request to indicate your preferred institute from the three tracks namely, Leadership in Business, Leadership in Civic Engagement, and Leadership in Public Management.
- Applicants will provide information related to their education/ academic experience and will be required to submit copies of any degrees, diplomas and certificates for trainings completed
- You will also have to submit a personal statement as will as two essays as part of the application process
- Applicants will also be required to indicate and provide proof of sufficient English language proficiency
To apply, Click here
You May also be Interested in