National Scholarship Program of the Slovak Republic Government Scholarships for International Students
Deadline: October 31, 2020
The Government of the Slovak Republic approved the establishment of the National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic for the support of mobility of students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists in 2005. The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic (NSP) is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic.
The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic supports study/research/teaching/artistic mobility of international students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists at higher education institutions and research organisations. It supports two-way mobility – international scholarship holders to Slovakia, as well as Slovak scholarship holders abroad. The programme offers scholarships to cover living costs during the stay and travel allowances (all categories in case of scholarship holders from Slovakia; students and PhD students in case of international scholarship holders).
- The scholarship is intended to cover international scholarship holders’ living costs, i.e. the costs related to staying in Slovakia (food, accommodation, etc.), during their study, research/artistic or teaching stay at universities and in research organisations in Slovakia.
- The scholarship holder can ask for assistance concerning accommodation and formalities related to entering and staying in the territory of the Slovak Republic either his/her host institution, or he/she can handle all the necessities him-/herself.
- Amount of the monthly scholarship
- University student 350 €
- PhD student 580 €
- University teacher/researcher/artist:
- without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and less than 4 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist – 580 €
- with PhD degree (or its equivalent) and less than 10 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist – 850 €
- with PhD degree (or its equivalent) and more than 10 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist – 1,000 €
Eligible applicants for a scholarship in the framework of the NSP:
A) students who:
- are university students at universities outside Slovakia;
- are students of the second level of higher education (master’s students), or are students who at the time of application deadline have already completed at least 2.5 years of their university studies in the same study programme;
- will be on a study stay in Slovakia during their higher education outside Slovakia and who will be accepted by a public, private or state university in Slovakia for an academic mobility to study in Slovakia.
All 3 conditions must be met. This category does not apply to doctoral (PhD) studies (or their equivalent).
- Duration of a scholarship stay (students): 1 – 2 semesters (i.e. 4 – 5 or 9 – 10 months) or 1 – 3 trimesters, in case the academic year is divided into trimesters (i.e. 3 – 4 or 6 – 7 or 9 – 10 months).
B) PhD students whose higher education or scientific training takes place outside Slovakia and who are accepted by a public, private or state university or a research institution in Slovakia eligible to carry out a doctoral study programme (e.g. the Slovak Academy of Sciences) for an academic mobility1 to study/conduct research in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (PhD students): 1 – 10 months.
C) international university teachers, researchers and artists who are invited to a teaching/research/artistic stay in Slovakia by an institution with a valid certificate of eligibility to carry out research and development, which is not a business company and it has its headquarters in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (university teachers, researchers or artists): 1 – 10 months.
- curriculum vitae;
- motivation letter;
- detailed study programme (it is necessary to state the date of the beginning of the stay, duration of the stay, list of subjects that the applicant would like to study during his/her stay and number of credits that the applicant will gain for the respective subjects);
- two recommendation letters issued by applicant’s university teachers (the document must be issued on headed paper of the respective university, it must be signed by the person who issued the document, and it must contain position and contact details of the person who issued the document); recommendation letters cannot be older than 3 months on the day of the application deadline;
- confirmation issued by the applicant’s home university confirming that the applicant is a regular student of the respective university – the confirmation must contain information on the expected date of the completion of applicant’s studies; confirmation cannot be older than 3 months on the day of the application deadline;
- scan of applicant’s bachelor’s diploma, diploma supplement and state examination certificate (if applicable);
- admission letter issued by applicant’s host university in Slovakia. In this document, the university commits itself to accept the scholarship holder for a study stay (exact period of stay must be stated in the document). Admission letter must be issued on headed paper of the respective university, it must be signed by the person who issued the document, and it must contain position and contact details of the person who issued the document. Admission letter must be issued for the same period as the period stated by the applicant in his/her online application and it cannot be older than 3 months on the day of the application deadline.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit National Scholarship Program of the Slovak Republic .