Deadline : September 30, 2020
Applications for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars are now open. Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and other countries. These scholarship are intended for applicants from over 180.
In order to apply for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, you must be a young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree. This scholarship program is for the academic year 2021
There are several types of scholarships offere under this program
- The research scholarship: This is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to pursue further studies(doctoral or post-doctoral) and research in Switzerland to pursue research or further studies. Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology.
- Art scholarships: These are available to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts.
Successful applicants will receive a full scholarship package as described below
- You will receive a mandatory Swiss health insurance is paid by the FCS. This applies to non-EU and non-EFTA grantees only
- Selected recipients from outside continental Europe receive a flight allowance (lump sum) for a ticket back to their country of origin at the end of the program
- You will receive a housing allowance to be paid once at the beginning of the program
- Applicants receive a One-year discount public transportation card
- You will receive a monthly stipend to cover your welfare costs as described below:
- Ph.D. Scholarships: The aid amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 1’920 (around EUR 1726.46)
- Postdoctoral scholarships: The aid amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 3’500 (around 3147.19)
- Research scholarships: The aid amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 1,920 (around EUR 1726.46);
- Fine Arts: The aid amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 1,920 (around EUR 1726.46)
To apply, you must fulfill both the general requirements for the program as well as the specific requirements for your chosen program
- You must not have stayed in Switzerland for more than one year at the beginning of the program your program
- If you already benefited from this scholarship program, you are not eligible to apply for a second scholarship.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Ph.D. Specific Criteria
- You must have achieved a Master’s degree or equivalent university degree recognized by the Swiss university before the start of the program next September.
- Your date of birth must be after 31 December 1985.
- You will be required to provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the PhD thesis.
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe. This is the centrepiece of the application. The applicant must devote all required attention to it.
Postdoctoral Specific Criteria
- You must have achieved a PhD degree at the time of application
- You must have spent no more than five years since the award of your Ph.D. by the application deadline.
- Applicants must provide a letter (or email) from a professor at the Swiss host institution stating that they are willing and entitled to supervise the postdoctoral research. Without such confirmation, the application will be rejected.
- You must have a research proposal including a timeframe (this is the centrepiece of the application. The applicant must devote all required attention to it).
Research Specific Criteria
- You must have achieved a Master’s degree or equivalent university degree recognized by the Swiss university before the start of the program
- As a proof the degree has to be submitted to the Federal Commission for programmes before the start of the program.
Applicants must be born after 31 December 1985
Fine Arts Specific Criteria
You must have achieved a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Fine Art field.
You must have been born after 31 December 1985.
Applicants should start their scholarship no later than three years after graduating with their Bachelor’s degree.
Please note that application opening dates and deadlines as well as procedures may be different for each country therefore you are advised to read carefully your country specific guidelines.
Also, application requirements vary from country to country therefore you are advised to select your country specific to see the application requirements and procedures
To see how to navigate to your country specific information, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here