Deadline : November 14, 2021
The Teachers of Critical Languages Program (TCLP) is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State. This program aims to increase the study and acquisition of important world languages in U.S. schools. Through this program, primary and secondary schools will have the opportunity to strengthen their teaching of Mandarin and Arabic. The program therefore aims to achieve this goal by bringing Chinese, Egyptian, and Moroccan teachers to the U.S. to teach their native languages and culture for an academic year.
This program runs for approximately 11-month after which return to their home countries for a period of at least two years immediately upon completion of the program. To be part of this exchange teachers experience, you must be a certified teacher in one of the three eligible countries and have at least four years of teaching experience in English as a Foreign Language, Arabic, or Chinese.
As an Exchange Language Teacher, you will have a maximum of 20 classroom teaching hours per week and a minimum of 10 classroom teaching hours per week. For the remaining 20 hours of the 40-hour work week, yo will allocate time for curriculum development, guest presentations in colleagues’ classes, outreach to other district and area schools, and the designing of extracurricular activities.
Selected applicants for the TCLP program will be eligibe for the following benefits.
- You will support for obtaining your J-1 visa
- Teachers will receive a living stipend worth $20,000
- You will receive provision for housing in the form of a monthly housing allowance for the duration of the program.
- In addition, you will also receive support for finding housing, generally arranged by the U.S. host school/educational community
- Teachers will receive a round-trip airfare to travel from their home countries to and within the U.S.
- A Pre-Departure Orientation held in the exchange teacher’s home country;
- Selected teachers will receive accident and sickness insurance for exchange teachers
- An eight-day Welcome Orientation in Washington, DC
Interested applicants must meet the following criteria. Selection will be made solely based on merit rgardless of to race, color, religion, sexual orientation or gender.
- Candidates for the Arabic language must be citizens of Egypt or Morocco.
- Applicants for Chinese language must be citizens of China.
- They must be currently resides in their countries of origin
- Applicants must be full-time teacher of English as a Foreign Language or Arabic as a Foreign Language in a primary or secondary (K-12) school in Egypt, Morocco or China.
- You must posses at least four years of experience as a full-time classroom teacher.
- Applicants must demonstrate firm understanding of Modern Standard Arabic (fus’ha) for Arabic Teachers and Mandarin for Chinese Teachers.
- You must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
- Applicants must also demonstrate proficiency in English
- Teachers must demonstrate the commitment to teaching after completion of the program
Applications for the program are completed and submitted online using the online application portal. The application is completed in English and must be submitted by the deadline of November 14, 2021.
During the application process, you will be requested to submit Essays as responses to the given questions within the application portal. You will also be required to submit the following supporting documents
- applicants will be required to submit their Degrees, Diplomas and Transcript(s)
- If applicable, you will also submit your teaching certifications
- You must include a well drafted resume of no more than two pages
- Attach a recent passport size photograph with a clear description taken with a white background
- Request a recommendation form from a person who is familiar with your professional work for example, a supervisor
- In case your recommendation letter is not written in English, provide a translation.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here