Deadline: December 15, 2020
Apply for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship. The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States.
The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 600+ paper-based TOEFL (taken on or prior to May 31, 2017)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2020.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2020.
Follow the procedure below when applying
- Complete the online AU EGLS application and Questions 1-4. The application will be available
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL or IELTS score results if available. These can be scanned and emailed to [email protected]. International Admissions will call ETS or IELTS to verify scores on your behalf.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2019, or by January 15, 2020 at the latest. Please note that students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA such as USAP, CCC, Opportunity Grants, Diana Kamal Scholarship Search, or similar, or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to [email protected] as a PDF.