Deadline : November 17, 2020
Apply for the Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program. The program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by American Councils for International Education, is an intensive overseas language and cultural immersion program for American students enrolled at U.S. colleges and universities. The program allows students to spend eight to ten weeks abroad studying one of 15 critical languages. Throughout the program, students and partcipants receive intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences designed to promote rapid language gains.
CLS, a program of the U.S. Department of State, is part of a wider government initiative with an aim of expanding the number of Americans studying and mastering foreign languages that are critical to national security and economic prosperity. CLS plays an important role in preparing students for the 21st century’s globalized workforce and increasing national competitiveness. The CLS Program offers instruction in fifteen critical languages, namely:
- There is no Previous Study Required
- You must have atleast one Year of Study Required
- Applicants must have atleast Two Years of Study Required
Selected applicants will benefit from the following
- The CLS Program covers most of the costs of participating in its overseas institutes,
- The costs covered may include but not limited to:
- Funding for International and domestic travel between the student’s U.S. home city, Washington, D.C., and the CLS Program site
- You will get coverage for visa application fees
- Your Costs associated with the mandatory pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. will also be covered
- Costs involved with Language instruction, room, board, program-sponsored travel within the host country will also be covered
- All entrance fees for program activities
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) language assessments
- U.S. academic credit issued through Bryn Mawr College.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or national at the time of your application and resident in the U.S.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited U.S. degree-granting program at the undergraduate or graduate at the time of their application for the program
- You may only apply once, for one language program, each summer. Applicants who submit multiple applications will be considered ineligible.
- Participation is limited to a total of two CLS awards for any individual. Applicants who have been selected for and participated in the CLS Program one time may apply for a second award. Applicants who have successfully completed the CLS Program two or more times in overseas locations are not eligible to apply again. This limitation does not include participation in a CLS Virtual Institute.
- You must be at least 18 years old by May 15, 2021.
- Applicants who are pursuing an undergraduate program must have completed at least one full year of study by the beginning of the CLS Program in summer 2021.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here