Deadline : January 7, 2021
Applications are open for the 2021 Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme. This scholarship is awarded to outstanding international applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge. The major aim of the Gates Cambridge programme is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Established in October 2000 with a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme remains the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Under the Gates Cambridge, up to 80 full-cost scholarships are offered each year to outstanding applicants from selected countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree of their choice in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship program covers both graduate (Masters) as well PhD programs and available places are divide such that approximately 25 awards are awarded to applicants from the US and around and 55 available for applicants from other countries.
If you are selected for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship you will recieve coverage of the full cost of studying at Cambridge along with additional, discretionary funding as described below
- Your University Composition Fee will be covered
- Selected candidates receive a maintenance allowance worth £17,500 for 12 months
- You will receive funding for one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- All visa costs plus the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge will be covered by the scholarship
- Along with the above benefits, the Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Beneficiaries receive an Academic development funding worth up to £500 to up to £2,000, to allow then attend conferences and courses.
- If you have a family, you will receive a Family allowance of up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child
- Maternity/Paternity funding and hardship funding for unforeseen difficulties are also available to beneficiaries
To apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, you must make sure that you fulfill the following conditions
- You must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applications are accepted from candidates applying to pursue a full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge
- You must be applying to undertake a PhD, MSc/MLitt or a One year postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge
- Current University of Cambridge students are also encouraged to apply provided that they are interested in applying for a new postgraduate course.
The applications for both the admission in the University of Cambridge and funding must be submitted via the University Graduate Application Portal.
- You must first submit the application for admission into the course of your choice to secure your place
- You will then complete the section for application for the Gates Cambridge funding
- During the application, you will b required to submit an essay of approximately 500 words explaining why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Applicants applying for a PhD program are required to submit a research proposal as part of their application for funding
- You will also need two academic references for admission as well as a third reference for the Gates Cambridge scholarship application
To apply, follow the link here
For more opportunities to study in the UK, visit the link here