Deadline : Various
Apply for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program for Foreign Students. The Japanese Government through the MEXT(Monbukagakusho) scholarships programme offers a total of six types scholarships. These include scholarships offered for research students, teacher training students, undergraduate students, Japanese studies students, college of technology students, specialized training college students. the MEXT scholarships are divided into two (2) broad categories
- The Embassy Recommendation: This scholarship program is solely based on Embassy recommendation, therefore, to obtain an Embassy Recommendation, applicants must submit their applications to the Japanese embassy (or consulate) in their home countries for the initial screening
- University Recommendation: The University recommendation MEXT Scholarship is offered to students who have expressed their interest, evaluated and then recommended by the University
The Japanese Government MEXT(Monbukagakusho) Embassy Recommendation Scholarships applications are now open. Deadlines, application requirements and process differ by each country. Applicants are there fore advised to contact their Japanese Embassies in their respective countries for full schedules and how to apply. The MEXT are funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan.
The Japanese MEXT scholarships offer the following benefits to successful applicants
- Examination, admission, and tuition fees for the applicant’s course are covered by the scholarship
- All selected applicants will receive a one round-trip ticket to travel from and back to their home countries
- Those residing in certain regions may be eligible for an additional monthly payment of 2,000 or 3,000 yen
- Research and Teacher training students will receive a monthly stipend worth143,000 yen.
- Undergraduate students, Japanese studies students, college of technology students, specialized training college students will receive a monthly stipend worth 117,000 yen.
To be eligible, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Scholarships are open to non-Japanese Students from countries around the world
- Research Students must have graduated, from college and must be 35 years of age or younger)
- Teacher training students must have graduated from college and posses at least 5 years of working experience. The must have 35 years of age or younger
- Undergraduate students must have graduated from from a secondary school or equivalent and be between the ages of 17 and 25)
- Japanese Studies Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate program at a faculty which majors in Japanese language at an overseas university. Thy must be between the ages of 18 and 30.
- Specialized training college students must be between the ages of 17 and 25, and have completed 12 years of study equivalent to Japanese high school
Applications, deadlines and requirements vary for each and every country. You are advised to contact the Japanese embassy in you country for the application details. To apply, applicants are advised to follow the following procedure
- Apply for recommendation form the Japanese foreign mission in your country and get a passing Certificate of the First Screening issued by a Japanese diplomatic mission
- Apply and receive a Letter of Provisional Acceptance from the university of your choice
- Collect all the required documents
- Application form
- Field of study and research plan
- Official transcripts for all higher-education institutions attended
- Graduation or degree certificate
- Recommendation letter from the president of, or a dean or academic advisor at, the current or last higher-education institution attended
- Abstracts of theses (Only if applicable)
- Certificate of language proficiency (Only if applicable)
- Recommendation letter from the present employer (Only if applicable)
To apply, contact the Japanese Mission in your Country HERE
For more information, visit the official website here