Deadline : December 22, 2021
Apply for the 2022-2023 Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University in the United States. The Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University aims to bring together rising leaders from the countries around the world including the United States whose commitment includes finding solutions to challenges in their communities, regions and countries at large. The program runs for one academic year in which the Obama Foundation Scholars have the opportunity to sharpen their skills and deepen their knowledge to build new capacities and networks that accelerate their impact in their home countries.
At the end of the program, Obama Foundation Scholars, empowered by their experience, will return to their home countries and regions where they have been working and continue along a path of service. Selected participants in the program will participate in an immersive program, bringing together academic, skills-based and experiential learning, designed by Columbia University in consultation with the Obama Foundation. Some of the key highlights and activities of the program will include the following:
- You will have the opportunity to participate in a Weekly Seminar that runs the length of the academic year, exploring questions in tandem with key global trends including inequality, technological developments, the diffusion of power, population movements, and climate change.
- Engauge in Personal and Professional Development Workshops designed to strengthen your practical skills thereby enhancing your ability to lead.
- A Thought Leadership Speaker Series that introduces Scholars to seasoned practitioners from the NGO community, philanthropy, government, and international organizations to expand Scholars’ networks and perspectives to help advance their work.
Selected Obama Foundation Scholars will receive the following benefits
- You will receive a monthly stipend to help you cover your living expenses in New York City
- Scholars will be housed in furnished studio apartment within walking distance of Columbia University.( This will only apply if the program is able to convene in person)
- The costs of all tuition and fees for up to four courses at Columbia University will be covered by the program
- You will be eligible for basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the program in New York City. ( This will only apply if the program is able to convene in person)
- Scholars will receive coverage for air travel to and from their countries of origin and any program-related activities.( This will only apply if the program is able to convene in person
To apply for the Obama Foundation Scholars program at the Columbia University, applicants must meet the following application conditions
- You must be an emerging leader and made meaningful contributions to your field and are now at a “breakthrough moment” of your career.
- Applicants must have a proven commitment to service and leadership within their community, region and country at large,
- You show passion and demonstrate commitment to return to your communities after completing the program enhanced training, skills, and connections on a long-term basis for the benefit of these communities
- Applicants must demonstrate sufficient level of fluency in English including verbal, written and spoken skills
- You must demonstrate the ability and inclination to positively shape the future of their community
- Candidates for the program are usually of an average of 35 years of age, with ages ranging from 25 to 45
- Applicants must show commitment to humility, integrity, inclusivity, stewardship, fearlessness, imagination and teamwork
Applicants must complete their application online using the online application form dedicated to the 2022-2023 Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University by the deadline of December 22, 2021. During the application, you will be required to submit supporting documents as described below
- Applicants must submit a resume/curriculum vitae detailing their employment and academic history, and other significant activities, awards and achievements
- You will b required to submit a personal video statement no longer than three minutes introducing your self and work to the selection committee.
- Applicants will need to write a short essay answering questions to help the selection committee understand their work, as well as motivation for applying to the programme
- You must provide your proof of English proficiency by either demonstrating that you have completed an undergraduate degree in a country where English is an official language or a TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, or DET test result
- All applicants must submit letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with their academics and work and can support their application for the program.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here