Deadline: June 2, 2020
The Olive Writers’ Summer Camp 2019 is now open for applications. The Summer Camp, the flagship program, brings young writers from across Morocco together to spend six days at an intensive writing residency in Casablanca.
Participants will attend daily creative writing workshops (offered in Arabic or English), attend lectures by renowned writers, learn about literary translation and the publishing industry, revise and refine a creative project of their own, and become part of a dynamic community of fellow writers.
Throughout the six days, our young writers will meet established writers, including world-renowned poets, novelists and literary critics from Morocco and abroad.
Not only will participants have the opportunity to discuss the art and craft of creative writing during intensive workshops and seminars, they will also have the chance to network and expand their creative community, creating a support system that will endure after the camp.
A cultural trip is scheduled for the afternoon of the fourth day of the camp. The Olive Writers staff will lead participants on a guided tour of Casablanca. This tour will delve into the cultural history of the city and will highlight Casablanca’s literary patrimony.
A closing ceremony will be held during the last day of the program. Participants will share their creative work with an audience composed of fellow writers, instructors, parents, and community members to create a deeper engagement between the program participants and the local community in Casablanca. Following the reading, participants will receive a diploma.
This is a fully-funded opportunity:
- Tuition, room, and board are provided free of charge to all accepted participants.
- The Summer Camp is supported by a generous grant from the American Langauge Center – Casablanca and with the support of the University of Iowa’s International Writing Progam and the U.S. Department of State.
- Passionate writers who are interested in developing their creative writing skills
- Anyone between 16-23
- You must be able to participate in the full week program.
- International students in Morocco are eligible to apply.
- Application form.
- Writing Sample: 4-5 pages of fiction and/or poetry written in either Arabic or English. Please submit your sample in the language of the main writing workshop for which you are applying.
- Writing assignment: 2-5 pages of your writing sample should be written in response to the following writing prompt: (Find the topic from the link below).
- Statement of Purpose: 300 words maximum, in English or Arabic. Please describe why creative writing is important in your life. Please also discuss the difficulties or challenged you have faced in your writing, as well as what you hope to learn at the program.
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional).
- Send your application materials (a writing sample, the completed writing assignment, your statement of purpose, and a photo of yourself) as a single MS Word document to [email protected]
To apply, Click here