Deadline : February 03, 2022
Apply for the 2022 Yale Young African Scholars Program. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is seven-day program intensive academic program dedicated to secondary school students from African who plan to pursue higher/ tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent. The program gives Participants a tremendous opportunity to enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
The Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) program is an official program of Yale University and is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and has enjoyed support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale and Higherlife Foundation.
Following the seven-day program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
There is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS. To keep everyone safe during the global pandemic, YYAS 2022 will be an online program. Therefore YYAS will host a seven-day virtual session using various digital platforms from 20 July to 26 July 2022.
Please note: The program , in normal terms would offer the following benefits to participants of the program
- The YYAS is a tuition free program to all participants.
- This program usually offers a Room and board for all students, along with three meals a day.
- Students from low-income backgrounds who demonstrate financial need usually have the opportunity to apply for a limited number of travel grants offered by the program.
- Such a grant usually covers the cost of a roundtrip plane ticket between a student’s home country and the program location.
However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the program will be going virtual and therefore the YYAS 2022 will be an online program
- Usually, YYAS students are between the ages of 15 and 18. Therefore, you are expected to be at least 14 years old by application deadline
- Applicants must have sufficient English proficiency in order to be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country or a refugee living in an African country.
- The program is only open to students currently attending school in an African country.
- You must be at edging towards the final stage of your high school education and are currently a 11th grade student
- Applicants attending school in the Northern Hemisphere must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2022. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2022 and no later than November/December 2022.
Interested applicants will have to submit their applications using the dedicayed online application platform. To make your application process as smooth as possible, you are advised to follow the prcedure below
- You are advised to review the YYAS eligibility criteria and make sure that you are eligible.
- Applicants are advised to review all the YYAS application required components.
- You are also advised to review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- Applicants will be required to complete the following information during the application process
- Personal, household, and financial information you may need to provide
- Your Coursework, grades, and letters of recommendation needed from your school(s)
- You will have to submit answers to some Essays
- Any other information that will help YYAS staff get to know you
- You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Therefore, reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here