Deadline : March 31, 2020 .
The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program is now open for applications. The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program provides emerging leaders ages 25-35 the opportunity to spend five weeks in the United States, including four weeks working directly with American counterparts in individually tailored work placements with relevant private and/or public sector organizations. During these placements, Fellows build their practical expertise, leadership skills, and professional networks.
The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program offers exchange opportunities for mid-level professionals, 25 - 35 years old who are passionate about the specific themes:
- Civic Engagement
- Economic Empowerment
- Governance and Society
- Sustainable Development and the Environment
- All travel, lodging, and meals for the Southeast Asian Fellows while in the U.S. are covered by the grant.
- The Fellows will stay in hotels during much of the program. However, an important component of the program is a cultural introduction to the U.S. They will work with U.S. fellowship hosts to arrange for a three-week home stay for each Southeast Asian Fellow during the program.
Successful applicants should be:
- Young professionals from all 11 YSEALI countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam) who are leading change and innovation in civil society, the private sector, or the public sector.
- emerging leaders in government, civil society, or the private sector who have demonstrated expertise pertaining to the respective theme;
- mid-level professionals, 25 to 35 years old at the time of participation in the program, who, at a minimum, are currently employed and have two or more years of relevant professional work experience;
- candidates who have demonstrated proficiency in both written and oral English that qualifies them to have “working-level knowledge of English” that has been verified by the implementing partner;
- candidates who are self-directed and able to work effectively in a cross-cultural setting; and
- candidates who are genuinely interested in developing an individual project of their own selection in their home workplace or community.
Desired Selection Criteria
- Demonstrate a strong track record of leadership or positive impact in their community or workplace;
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI Professional Fellows Program themes: Civic Engagement, Economic Empowerment, Governance and Society, or Sustainable Development and the Environment;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States, ASEAN, and Southeast Asia as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in a professional work environment to develop professional capacities and leadership skills;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior work, study, or travel experience in the United States.