United Nations Foundation Press Fellowship 2019 to the UN General Assembly in New York (Fully funded)
Deadline: August 5, 2019
The United Nations Foundation today announced its 10th annual press fellowship to the opening of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly – the annual gathering of heads of state at the UN headquarters in New York. The fellowship will take place from September 21 to September 25, 2019
The International Labour Organization recently reported that 80 million jobs could be lost by 2030 due to global warming. And, the World Health Organization found that 9 out of 10 people breathe polluted air, triggering up to 33 million asthma-related visits to the emergency room per year. Progress on issues such as poverty, hunger, and health care are increasingly threatened by climate change – the greatest challenge to sustainable development, according to a new UN report.
A stipend will be provided to cover travel, lodging costs, and meals;
Participating journalists will have access to exclusive briefings on the issues that impact lives around the world, including a special focus on climate change.
Open to journalists who are interested in foreign affairs, health, justice and equality issues, climate change, and the work of the United Nations to address global challenges;
They welcome applications from journalists reporting from all countries and filing across all platforms.
This press fellowship will take place alongside key events, including:
- The UN Secretary-General’s Climate Action Summit, which will bring together leaders to ramp up climate action in support of the Paris Agreement.
- The UN Youth Climate Summit, where hundreds of young people will come together to share solutions for climate action.
- Global student climate strikes.
- The launch of the Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- The Sustainable Development Goals Summit, which marks the first UN summit on the Sustainable Development Goals since they were adopted in 2015.
- A high-level meeting on Universal Health Coverage, where leaders will come together to support affordable health for all.