Deadline : February 1, 2023
The Amgen Scholars Program provides hundreds of undergraduates each year with the opportunity to undertake scientific research projects at many of the world’s leading institutions. Launched in 2006 in the United States, 2008 in Europe, and 2015 in Japan at the University of Tokyo and Kyoto University, Amgen Scholars has expanded to additional world-class institutions in the U.S., Europe and Asia!
The main aim of the Amgen Scholars Program is to provide selected undergraduate students from different countries with biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. Applicants are usually undergraduates who demonstrate the commitment or the interest in a career in biology or related sciences and and looking to continue to graduate studies.
This is an eight week program in which selected scholars will undertake Research experiences offered by faculty members of the Graduate School of Medicine, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science.
Through this summer experience, you will learn new skills and acquire knowledge on different aspects of a Research process. You will be working full time in the laboratory for 8 weeks and also participate in other program features including the following.
- Participants will go on visits to Graduate Schools and Institutes related to biomedical research
- You will attend Information sessions on how to apply to Graduate Schools at UTokyo
- There will be specially organized seminars and luncheons for students to meet and have discussions
- You will have access to UTokyo campus facilities including the Library, Health Care Center and Gymnasium
- Participants will also attend different Japanese cultural events as well as excursions and organized trips
Selected applicants will be eligible for the following benefits
- You will receive coverage for accommodation for the entire duration of the program. Participants will be housed in accommodation units near the University of Tokyo
- You will receive a stipend worth 250,000 JPY to be spent freely to on food and any personal trips during your stay in Japan.
- Your travel to and from Japan will be covered. You will receive Economy-class airline tickets for flights including flights to the Amgen Scholars Asia Symposium to be held in Singapore.
- The UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program is dedicated to undergraduate students from any country You must be currently enrolled in a in college or university and on track to complete a Bachelor’s degree.
- At the time of commencement of the program, you must have completed at least your first year of undergraduate study.
- You must continue as a student at your home institution even after the summer program ends for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
- The programme is dedicated to those applicants who have proof of a strong record of academic performance
- To apply, you must demonstrate proof of sufficient English language proficiency. Accepted proofs include
- TOEFL (iBT) score of 72
- IELTS overall band score of 5.5
- Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095
- TOEIC L&R score of 785
- TOEIC S&W score of 310
- Native English speaker are exempted from the English language requirement
The UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program is scheduled to take place from June 6, 2023 to July 31, 2023. Participates will then travel to Singapore from August 1 to August 2 2023 to participate in the Amgen Scholars Asian Symposium in Singapore which will take place from August 3 to August 5, 2023.
Applications for the program are submitted online using the dedicated online portal. You must correctly complete the online form, submit all the required information and upload the following support documents
- Submit a copy of Passport or National ID card
- You must submit a recent CV or cover letter. A template can be Downloaded from the programme website
- Applicants are required to upload your portrait photo saved as a jpeg file with a full visible face
- Upload your transcripts and and latest grade records sheets
- You will be required to download , fill and upload back a program Questionnaire
- Applicants must submit Proof of English proficiency as specified in the eligibility criteria
- Request two Letters of Recommendation from two recommenders, one of whom must be a faculty member.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here