Deadline : January 31, 2020 .
Apply for the University of Zurich Mobility Grant 2020/2021 for Master’s and PhD Students.
In collaboration with the Oeuvre St.-Justin Fribourg and the Solidarity Fund for Foreign Students, the North-South Cooperation of the University of Zurich (UZH) is awarding up to three grants per semester for mobility students from universities in the Global South . The grants can be used to study one or two semesters at UZH during the academic year 2020-21.
Grants are only awarded if a professor at UZH guarantees supervision and has a strong interest in working with the mobility student’s home university.
The grant is available for the following pre-defined periods:
- The grant period for students studying a full academic year at UZH is 1 September 2020 to 30 June 2021
- The periods for students studying one semester at UZH are 1 September 2020 to 31 January 2021 and 1 February 2021 to 30 June 2021.
Monthly allowance to cover living costs, study materials, administrative fees, visa fees and insurance costs:
- For students in a Master’s degree program: CHF 1400 (CHF 900 granted by the Solidarity Fund; CHF 500 granted by the Oeuvre St.-Justin Fribourg)
- For PhD students: CHF 1700 (CHF 1200 granted by the Solidarity Fund; CHF 500 granted by the Oeuvre St.-Justin Fribourg)
- Accommodation in a single room with shared bathroom is offered free of charge
Please note: The Grant does NOT cover travel expenses. The host institute at UZH is expected to cover the mobility student's costs for a flight to and from Switzerland.
- The supervisor during the grant period must be a professor at UZH.
- The mobility student must be enrolled as a Master’s degree student or PhD student at an accredited and state-approved university in one of the countries during the planned stay at UZH. (check list here (PDF, 86 KB)
- Age limit: for insurance reasons, only applications from students born in 1978 or younger can be taken into account.
- Collaboration between the institute of the supervising UZH professor and the mobility student's home institution must already be established.
- Research collaborations must comply with the Guide for Transboundary Research Partnerships set down by the Swiss Commission for Research with Developing Countries (KFPE).
- The supervisor at your home institution and the supervisor at UZH agree that you will come to UZH for one or two semester as a mobility student. Together with your supervisors at UZH and your home institution, you specify the content of your project during that time. You have a letter of invitation outlining these details from the supervisor at UZH.
- Fill in the application form on the Mobility Online Registration Platform.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your login name and password for the application portal: https://mobility.int.uzh.ch/mobility.
There you can upload the application documents listed below.
- Your application will be assessed by the International Relations Office and the Steering Committee of the North-South Cooperation.
Applications for the academic year 2020/21 must be submitted by 31 January 2020. The decision on awarding the grants will be announced by the end of March 2020.
The following documents need to be uploaded on the Mobility Online Platform:
- Letter of invitation from the supervising professor at UZH including (a) a guarantee of supervision during the stay at UZH, (b) a statement of interest in collaborating with the mobility student’s home institution, (c) a guarantee of providing a work-space at UZH for a mobility student and coverage of flight costs of the mobility student, (d) full name of the mobility student and period of stay at UZH
- Copy of passport of the prospective mobility student (identification page)
- Passport photo of the prospective mobility student: The photo will be used for your UZH student card. Make sure that the photo fulfills the following requirements: current photo in color (your head should be photographed in a frontal pose against a neutral background providing good contrast, and it should take up about 80% of the photo), aspect ratio 3:4, image size at least 400x533 pixel.
- Complete Curriculum viate (CV) of the prospective grant recipient
- Transcript of Records (most recent version)
- Copy of highest achieved university degree (Bachelor or Master diploma)
- Completed and signed form "confirmation of enrollment & recognition at home university" (PDF, 111 KB)
- Letter of motivation by the prospective mobility student including short description of studies and reason for choosing UZH.
- Description of the research project or studies to be carried out at UZH (2-3 pages). The proposal shall demonstrate the compatibility of the project with the activities of the host institute at UZH.
- Letter of recommendation by a professor at the home university
To apply, Click here