Deadline : February 28, 2020 .
Apply for the UNI-IAS Master of Science in Sustainability in Japan.The Master of Science in Sustainability programme is a two-year programme, which provides students with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to contribute to solving challenges of sustainability. Drawing on an innovative, interdisciplinary approach, the programme integrates methods and resources from the natural and social sciences, as well as the humanities.
The programme is intended for recent graduates, professionals and practitioners who seek to meaningfully contribute to the work of governments, civil society, the private sector, and/or the UN and other international organizations in the area of sustainability.
Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU-IAS Master of Science in Sustainability programme can be considered as candidates for the scholarships. There is no separate application form for the scholarships as it is a part of the online application for admission. Interested applicants must provide necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the master’s degree programme.
Scholarships provided through Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU)
- The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months.
- However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
- The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
UNU Rector’s Scholarship
- The UNU Rector’s scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, will be covered by the scholarship. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
Resona Bank Scholarship
- The Reson Bank scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, will be covered by the scholarship (up to JPY 260,000). The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
Applicants for the Master of Science in Sustainability are required to have met the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered.
Those who wish to participate a double degree programme between UNU-IAS and the Department of Urban Engineering in the Graduate School of Engineering at the University of Tokyo must be shortlisted by the University of Tokyo before submitting application to UNU-IAS.
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university or institution of higher education in a field related to sustainability (Those who expect to graduate and have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent conferred before September 2020 may also apply.);
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for the bachelor’s degree earned;
- English language proficiency.
- The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format