Deadline: May 24, 2019
East African entrepreneurs, MSU, and external partners connect via the U.S. Department of State funded Professional Fellows Program – Advancing Young Women Agribusiness Entrepreneurs and Innovators
The Professional Fellows Program – Advancing Women Agribusiness Entrepreneurs and Innovators hosted at Michigan State University (MSU) connects Ugandan, Tanzanian, and Kenyan agribusiness professionals and entrepreneurs with their counterparts in Michigan for knowledge exchange and capacity building. The program strengthens visiting fellows’ skills in agro-entrepreneurship and agri-food system innovation, and addresses issues of women’s economic empowerment.
Participants will take part in internships with Michigan institutions and dialogue in seminars and meetings with U.S. leaders in economic development in the food and agriculture sector. Fellows will also select, design, and complete a special project in an area of their own interest. Seminars will combine presentations and discussions to provide an opportunity for Fellows to share experiences from their home countries and organizations and observations from their internship placements. Fellows will also have the opportunity of a one-week homestay with an American family.
- 25-40 years old
- A citizen, national, or permanent resident of Tanzania, Kenya, or Uganda
- Is living and working in Tanzania, Kenya, or Uganda at the time of the application
- Speaks fluent English
- Has at least 2 years of professional/working experience in their field
- Has demonstrated leadership and collaborative skills and a commitment to community
- Has employer’s support for participating in the program (for those not self-employed). For those self-employed, has recommendation from local authorities at the district, county, and/or community levels
- Is interested in participating in a reciprocal program for American participants coming to your country
- Preference will be given to those who are in an earlier state of their careers
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously had the opportunity to travel to the US
The following documents are required in the application package:
- One-page resumé
- One-page statement of interest (Why you are applying for this program? What do you hope to learn? How will you use this experience after you return home?)
- Letter of reference from your current employer verifying his/her support for your participation in this program (if applicable) or for those self-employed, letter of recommendation from local authorities at the district and/or community levels
- A scanned copy of a government issued ID that indicates your citizenship and birthdate
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit Professional Fellows Program.