VUB B-PHOT Excellence Master Awards for International Students in Belgium, 2020
Deadline: April 1, 2020
B-PHOT, Brussels Photonics Research group at VUB, offers also scholarships to knowledgeable students on a competitive basis. All students who register for the MSc. in Photonics at VUB are eligible to be awarded a B-PHOT Excellence Scholarship by the research group without separate application procedure. The candidates who receive the B-PHOT Excellence Scholarship must commit themselves to do a MSc. thesis at VUB. Students, who graduate with honours and show excellence in knowledge and applications, will be invited to apply for a PhD at VUB B-PHOT.
After your successful application, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel can grant one of the full scholarships of 10 000,00 EUR per year to students of the European Master of Science in Photonics at VUB. This scholarship is foreseen to cover cost of living inherent to studying in Brussels.
All candidates who wish to enroll at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel will have the opportunity to show proof of their technical knowledge during the application interview preceding the final admission. Every application for scholarships will be screened on the basis of excellence and motivation, after acceptance to our programme
The B-PHOT Excellence Scholarship scheme is as follows:
- three Entry Scholarships of 1000 Euro , at the beginning of the first semester of the first year of the MSc.. The recipients are the 3 best ranked students according to our selection criteria.
- three Continuation Scholarships of 1500 Euro , at the start of the second semester of the first year of the MSc. will be awarded to the top 3 students according to the academic performance after semester 1. Also students who didn’t receive the Entry Scholarship will be considered for the Continuation Scholarship.
- one Excellence Scholarship will be awarded, worth 5000 Euro , at the start of the the second year of the MSc
The programme is open to applicants with a bachelor or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, (Applied) Physics, Materials Sciences or equivalent. Students in their last year of such programmes will also be considered. Applicants holding a bachelor or master degree in another field of engineering are welcome to join the programme through a personalized preparatory programme. This preparatory programme can be combined with a specific bachelor or master programme
Belgian Bachelors in IR Architecture, Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, industrial Science – Electronics/ICT, Engineering Science or KMS Polytechnical Department can apply for the preparatory programme of 30 ECTS.
Language requirements for international students:
- a TOEFL-TEST, taken as recently as within the last two years, showing a score of at least 570 (paper-based) or 87 (internet-based)
- an original “test report from” (TRF) from IELTS, issued as recently as within the last two years, with a minimum overall band score of 6.0
- Cambridge-ESOL: First certificate in English (FCE)
- Holders of a diploma of secondary or higher education by a recognised institution in the Flemish Community are exempted from submitting a proof of language proficiency.
- You are also exempted from language test when you ave successfully completed a minimum of 1 year (60 credits), be it secondary or higher education, where the medium of instruction was English (an official certificate must be submitted).
- Note: if the proof of English proficiency or APS certificate is not ready before the deadline, you can always submit it later instead of missing the deadline.